Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Advent Reads Day 13: Twelve Days of Christmas by Debbie Macomber

Welcome to Advent Reads!
This is an event I have had on my blog for several years running now.  Each evening I feature a different holiday themed book. Think of it as your Book Advent Calendar! I post a variety of holiday books including romance, children's, middle-grade, mystery, paranormal, and I try to find some that are other holiday celebrations than Christmas too. I hope you will stop by each evening to see what new book I have for you!
 
 
 
Synopsis: "Friendly and bubbly, Julia Padden likes nearly everyone, but her standoffish neighbor, Cain Maddox, presents a particular challenge. No matter how hard she’s tried to be nice, Cain rudely rebuffs her at every turn, preferring to keep to himself. But when Julia catches Cain stealing her newspaper from the lobby of their apartment building, that’s the last straw. She’s going to break through Cain’s Scrooge-like exterior the only way she knows how: by killing him with kindness.
To track her progress, Julia starts a blog called The Twelve Days of Christmas. Her first attempts to humanize Cain are far from successful. Julia brings him homemade Christmas treats and the disagreeable grinch won’t even accept them. Meanwhile, Julie’s blog becomes an online sensation, as an astonishing number of people start following her adventures. Julia continues to find ways to express kindness and, little by little, chips away at Cain’s gruff façade to reveal the caring man underneath. Unbelievably, Julia feels herself falling for Cain—and she suspects that he may be falling for her as well. But as the popularity of her blog continues to grow, Julia must decide if telling Cain the truth about having chronicled their relationship to the rest of the world is worth risking their chance at love."


My Review: I picked this one up for the holiday season, I always enjoy Debbie Macomber's feel good romances and it just felt right for the season. The nice thing about this one is you don't have to try to figure out where it is in a series, it is a standalone. It was a short read and it definitely had all the holiday elements in it, but I didn't end up really connecting with the characters. I enjoyed the story, it is a fun idea (one that as a blogger I could connect with) and I liked how the characters and story progressed. It was definitely a nice audio book to listen to while making cookies, wrapping presents or addressing Christmas cards, it will give you the holiday feel goods.
 
My Rating: This is a comical and fun little romance for the holiday season. I love that this is a standalone so you don't need to worry about coming in mid-series and you feel satisfied with the ending. I give it a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag.

No comments:

Post a Comment