Saturday, November 5, 2016

Graphic Novel Review of Mouse Guard (& Other Stories - FCBD 2012 & 2014)

Since these were both a little short and I went in mainly for the Mouse Guard stories I thought I would just review them together.
 
Read for: Graphic Novel 
 
Synopsis: "The book features six short stories from some of our all-ages-friendly titles: Mouse Guard, Jim Henson’s Labyrinth, Rust, Cursed Pirate Girl, Dapper Men, and Cow Boy. Exclusive to Free Comic Book Day 2012"

My Review: I had to really work to track this down, but I have really loved the Mouse Guard series and it was worth it. I loved the story of Baldwin and the way it was presented as a puppet show, it was a nice little read between full books. I did mainly pick this up for the Mouse Guard title, I did read the rest of them. It was an interesting selection, most seemed to be fantasy type stories. I have been wanting to read Cow Boy and now I think I will have to pick up some volumes. I also liked the Labyrinth story and the intro to Rust.
 
My Rating: I really enjoyed the Mouse Guard story and some of the others were intriguing. It was a good selection to feature together. I give it a rating of Three Paws.
 
 
Read for: Graphic Novel
 
 
Synopsis: "In 2012, Archaia published the first-ever Free Comic Book Day hardcover to widespread critical acclaim.

Now, experience some of the most original voices in sequential storytelling as Archaia proudly presents the second volume of its Free Comic Book Day original graphic novella hardcover anthology series.

Featuring all-new, never-before-seen stories from the worlds of David Petersen's Mouse Guard, Roysen Lepp's Rust, Jim Henson's Labyrinth, The Jim Henson Company's Farscape, Sean Rubin's Bolivar, and Tom Hammock and Megan Hutchison's Will O'The Wisp."


My Review: Another one I really had to track down and wait to get my hands on, but so worth it. I am a big fan of Mouse Guard and was not disappointed in the story in this collection. I loved the tone it set for Rand in the story of the three sisters. It also sets up nicely for me to start reading the Black Axe books. I was a little disappointed with the other stories in the collection, they weren't quite as fitting as in the 2012 collection. I did still enjoy the Rust and Labyrinth stories.
My Rating: While I didn't like the selection as much as in the first one, I think I might have liked the Mouse Guard story even better. I give it a rating of Three Paws.

2 comments:

  1. Cute! The covers remind me of Redwall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, maybe he took some inspiration from Redwall, I have no idea but I love the art and storyline of this series!

      Delete