Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Advent Reads Day 24: Santa Wore Combat Boots by Barbara Witek

 
Synopsis: "Emma Turner feels like her life ended with the death of her husband. Three years later she’s doing the best she can for her children and moving through life on autopilot. She doesn’t believe true love can happen twice in a lifetime. As a matter of fact, she doesn’t believe in much anymore. Putting her trust in one honest man might be just what she needs to move forward.

Bound by duty Jake Nicklaus never imagined he’d cross the line and fall in love with the woman he swore he’d watch over. If only he’d died on that chopper instead of her husband, she wouldn’t be hurting. The only way to heal her heart is to show her how to live again. Finding the magic in Christmas is the perfect way to start.

Will one kiss under the mistletoe change their lives forever?"


My Review: This short story had an almost sentimental feel to it. It was a touching and heartwarming story but didn't have quite the time to build the full emotional connection as I would have hoped it would. I did like the characters, and could relate to a lot of Emma's personality and some of her struggle. For some reason the name Nicklaus just drove me up a wall, it was just too blatant for my liking. All in all it was a good light romance, but I don't think it is going to be all that memorable.
  
 
My Rating: I enjoyed the story line and characters but there wasn't anything outstanding that will stick with me.  I give it a rating of Two Paws and Stump Wag.
 

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one a little more than you. I was a sweet little Christmasy read. I do wish it had been given a bit more time though but that's usually the case with these shorter ones. So hard to fit so much into so few pages. Hope you had a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish I had enjoyed it more, I think the name really irritated me and distracted me from the story itself so I wasn't able to dig in they way I normally would.

      Delete