Sunday, December 6, 2020

Advent Reads Day 6: Rhett's Make-Believe Marriage by Liz Isaacson

   Welcome to Advent Reads!

This is an event I have had on my blog for several years running now.  Each evening I feature a different holiday themed book. Think of it as your Book Advent Calendar! I post a variety of holiday books including romance, children's, middle-grade, mystery, paranormal, and I try to find some that are other holiday celebrations than Christmas too. I hope you will stop by each evening to see what new book I have for you!

Read for: Recently Added/ Self-Published Author

Synopsis: "She needs a husband to be credible as a matchmaker. He wants to help a neighbor. Will their fake marriage take them out of the friend zone?

Rhett Walker has been in Three Rivers for a year, relying on the Foster sisters next door as he rebuilds his ranch after a tornado hits town. He's closest to Evelyn, and they spend a lot of time together. While he's entertained thoughts of starting a relationship with her, there's always a boyfriend and their friendship between them.

Evelyn Foster runs a successful, secretive matchmaking service for the women of Three Rivers. She helps set up situations so cowboys can get out of their own way and see the beautiful woman standing right in front of them. Business is great—until people start to lose confidence in her abilities because her boyfriends all seem to break up with her.

To save her business, she'll have to risk her heart. And her pride. She knocks on Rhett's door—the only person she thinks will go along with her crazy plan. Could their make-believe marriage be exactly what they both need to get out of their own way and find a happily-ever-after?"


My Review: I picked this book up at random, I was drawn in by the cover (I have a thing for plaid and flannel, especially in the fall and winter) and the fact that not only is it a cowboy book but also a billionaire and marriage of convenience, so many of my favorite tropes in romance books. What I didn't get from the synopsis (on Amazon where I purchased) was that this is a sweet romance and rather heavy handed with Christianity. This is not normally an issue for me, especially around the holiday season but I have to be in the right mood and mindset, and know about it from the start. With that said, I liked how things started off with Rhett and Evelyn's meeting and beginning of friendship, but unfortunately we didn't get to spend much time with them. We didn't get to see their bond grow nor really the development of the marriage of convenience. We spend a lot of time being introduced to the other side characters, who will most likely get their own books as the series continued. It does set up very nicely for a couple of them but I would have liked more time with Rhett and Evelyn.

My Rating: This may not have been my favorite book, I did enjoy the craft fair part and the small town feel of the story, we just didn't get enough build up or get to know the characters enough for my liking. It may be a good base to start the series as I feel like I know the other characters better.  I give it a rating of Two Paws and a Stump Wag.


No comments:

Post a Comment