Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Review of Voices: The Final Hours of Joan of Arc by David Elliott

Read for: Anticipated Release/ ARC

Synopsis: "Author David Elliott explores how Joan of Arc changed the course of history and remains a figure of fascination centuries after her extraordinary life and death.


Told through medieval poetic forms and in the voices of the people and objects in Joan of Arc’s life, (including her family and even the trees, clothes, cows, and candles of her childhood). Along the way it explores issues such as gender, misogyny, and the peril of speaking truth to power. Before Joan of Arc became a saint, she was a girl inspired. It is that girl we come to know in Voices."


My Review: I traded several books in order to obtain this ARC from another reader. I was not sent it for review. The following is my honest opinion. I have been a fan of Joan of Arc's (though by no means an expert on the subject) since I was in high school and was very excited to see a new re-telling of her story in verse. I loved the variety of poetry and prose formats and font styles that were used throughout this book, and the author's attention to the type that were used in her time period was an added bonus. I enjoyed the way Elliott combined testimony from both the Condemnation and Nullification trials, but the best was the way he interpreted and added the statements of objects and the Saints themselves. It really added an extra element that took this from being a historical and heavily political and religious story to being a book many readers can enjoy and hopefully spark interest in the subject. If you are looking for an in-depth look at Joan, her life and trials, this may not be the book for you but if you are looking for an enjoyable and different view, pick this one up. I have already pre-ordered my finished copy!

My Rating: I really enjoyed the style of this book, with the multiple verse and poem formats as well as the combination of quotes and fictionalized testimony. It was really intriguing and has sparked my interest once again on her history.  I give it a rating of Four Paws!


You can find out more about David Elliott on his Goodreads Page or Website.


Voices is scheduled for release on March 26th but you can pre-order your copy in print or digital format from Amazon or Barnes & Noble or you can order a personalized copy from Main Street Book Ends or ask your local independent book store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment