Saturday, January 6, 2018

Graphic Novel Review: Above the Timberline by Gregory Manchess

Read for: This Stunning Art & Graphic Novel Challenge

Synopsis: "From renowned artist Gregory Manchess comes a lavishly painted novel about the son of a famed polar explorer searching for his stranded father, and a lost city buried under snow in an alternate future.

When it started to snow, it didn’t stop for 1,500 years. The Pole Shift that ancient climatologists talked about finally came, the topography was ripped apart and the weather of the world was changed—forever. Now the Earth is covered in snow, and to unknown depths in some places.

In this world, Wes Singleton leaves the academy in search of his father, the famed explorer Galen Singleton, who was searching for a lost city until Galen’s expedition was cut short after being sabotaged. But Wes believes his father is still alive somewhere above the timberline.

Fully illustrated with over 120 pieces of full-page artwork throughout, Above the Timberline is a stunning and cinematic combination of art and novel."


My Review: As soon as I saw the cover of this book I knew I had to have it. The artwork inside did not disappoint at all, it is absolutely stunning! And the story is also quite an adventure. It is a little outside of my normal reading genres and is an interesting combination of adventure, dystopian and a touch of futuristic steampunk. It took me a bit to get into the story itself, it is told using narration and several journals of characters and it does jump around a bit in the timeline so that was a bit confusing. Once I started putting the pieces together it was really a page turner. I enjoyed the setting and the way the world is built with a variety of belief systems and societies all woven together in a rather believable way. Definitely a book I am happy to have on my shelf!

My Rating: I was all for the art in this book when I started but was unsure of the story but it ended up being a pretty engrossing story that I was happy to enjoy.  I give it a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag!

No comments:

Post a Comment