Sunday, January 7, 2018

Bout of Books #21: Sign Up & Updates

I have always looked forward to Bout of Books right at the beginning of the year! All those books on the shelf just waiting to be read and Bout of Books is the readathon to kick off the year on the right foot.  This year however I am struggling to even get together a simple TBR for January, let alone what book to read first, but I will be joining anyway in hopes that it gives me a push to get going on my reading for this year!


Here is the information you need in case you want to sign up too!

The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda Shofner and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, January 8th and runs through Sunday, January 14th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 21 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team

  


So this post is going to be my base for the week, I will continue to come back and update it each day with my progress (as I already have a lot of posts planned for this week and don't want things too jumbled up).  I will also be updating on Instagram @EasternSunset9


Time Devoted to Reading

I would like to read between 2-3 hours each day and read about 200 pages each day.
Averaging about 1.5 hours and work and another 1.5-2 at home after Munchkin goes to bed.
  

My Goals

Read a total of 1,000 pages
Read at least 2 hours each day
Read a total of 6 books
Read 1 Requested Review Book

Books to Read

Heart on Fire - 380 pages
Girl in the Tower - 363 pages
Wishtree - 224 pages
Kilty Pleasures - 73
Down and Across - 336 pages
Kindred Spirits - 96 pages
Pancho Bandito and the Avocado Desperadoes - 39 pages



Other Possible Books

And I Love Her - 10:03
As You Wish - 432 pages
Vengeance Road - 327 pages
Staying Strong: 365 Days a Year - 365 pages



Updates:


Monday
Number of Pages I've read today: 219
Total Number of Pages: 219
Time spent reading today: 2.5 hours
Total number of books I've read: 5 
Books completed: Pancho Bandito & The Avocado Desperadoes, Kindred Spirits, Kilty Pleasures
Thoughts:  So it was kind of a screwy kick off for me, I barely got any reading done at the office. Then I probably screwed up my week by picking up all the really short easy reads first thing, but I think maybe that momentum will help me along. I did end up picking up a book that wasn't even on my list and am totally obsessed with it, Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan, so it might take precedence. I do still really want to read Heart on Fire though, too many good books that I want to read is not a problem to be complained about right?!



Tuesday

Number of Pages I've read today: 2.5 hours audio (about 125 pages) + 24 = 154 pages
Total Number of Pages:  373
Time spent reading today: 2:45
Total number of books I've read: 5
Books completed: Pancho Bandito & The Avocado Desperadoes, Kindred Spirits, Kilty Pleasures
Thoughts: I didn't get as much read as I had expected but all that I did read was super enjoyable.  As hard as it was for me to get into The Bear and the Nightingale, The Girl in the Tower has me pulled right in.  Also, I am so in love with the audio book of Natural History of Dragons and wish that I could listen to it all day but only in the car and after everyone else in the house goes to bed.



   Wednesday
Number of Pages I've read today: 3 hours audio (about 182 page) + 5 = 182 pages
Total Number of Pages: 555
Time spent reading today: 3 hours
Total number of books I've read: 5
Books completed: Pancho Bandito & The Avocado Desperadoes, Kindred Spirits, Kilty Pleasures, Natural History of Dragons.
Thoughts:  I have been so busy in the office that I haven't had much time to read The Girl in the Tower but I did finish Natural History of Dragons last night while working on setting up my bullet journal. As much as I really want to dive into the next Lady Trent book I do want to focus on the books I originally listed first.
 
Thursday
Number of Pages I've read today: 83 + .5 hour audio (about 30 pages) = 113
Total Number of Pages: 668
Time spent reading today:  2 hours
Total number of books I've read: 7
Books completed:  Pancho Bandito & The Avocado Desperadoes, Kindred Spirits, Kilty Pleasures, Natural History of Dragons
Thoughts:  When you get an email from Overdrive telling you that your hold is now available, you drop all other books and start reading that one! Lucky for me it is one of the books on my TBR list (and one of my most anticipated 2018 releases), Heart on Fire!  So that is probably going to take precedence over the next day or two.  I also started listening to the audio book And I Love Her because I have a bunch of crafting to do this weekend. I am not quite where I want to be for the week but I think I can make it up.
 
Friday
Number of Pages I've read today:
Total Number of Pages:  
Time spent reading today: 
Total number of books I've read:  
Books completed:  
Thoughts: 
 
Saturday & Sunday
Number of Pages I've read today:
Total Number of Pages: 
Time spent reading today: 
Total number of books I've read: 
Books completed: 
Thoughts: 
 



 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Challenges:

I don't often participate in the challenges but if I do they will be posted here.


Monday Challenge: In Six Words
 My 6 words posted on Instagram - Escaping Daily Stress in Fictional Worlds


Tuesday Challenge; 2018 Reading Goals
So besides the goals I posted last week (HERE) I think I have finally settled on my actual reading challenges & numbers.
Children's Books: 30-40
Early Reader: 30-40
Audio Books: 25-35
Classics: 4
Chunkers (books over 450 pages): 12
Requested Reviews: 25
RI Authors: 25
I also want to do better about reading the books I purchase (not to mention less purchasing this year)
Total Books to read in 2018: 250


4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your goals!! I'm participating too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think I will need that luck this time around! Good luck to you too, this is usually my favorite way to kick off the new year and start my reading year on a high.

      Delete
  2. I hope you've been having fun with Bout of Books and been getting a lot of reading done! Good luck with today and tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete