Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Tasty Attempts: Chinese Takeout Night

I am now posting Tasty Attempts every other Tuesday. The posts will include a variety of recipes, maybe some of them turn out tasty, maybe others are failed attempts.
 
 
On the weekends we usually let Munchkin pick what we are having for dinner, it encourages him to make good food choices and he is more likely to eat dinner if he picks and helps prepare it. But lately all he has been asking for is Pizza or Steak and my Hubby was really disappointed last weekend because he wanted Chinese takeout.  So this weekend I thought I would make something on Saturday for him and let Munchkin choose.  Funds have been tight with some bathroom repairs so I decided to find a recipe and surprisingly enough we had nearly everything needed to make both these recipes.
 
I chose to make a Chicken Lo Mein and Mushroom Fried Rice, both I found on Pinterest. They were easy enough to make but did take a lot of ingredients and prep work.  The Chicken Lo Mein was okay, the fish sauce was a little over powering and I didn't have quite the right noodles, Munchkin did love it though and gobbled it down. The Mushroom Fried Rice though was out of this world! I will definitely be making it again!
 


4 comments:

  1. If I'm going to eat Chinese food it needs to be homemade. However, it takes way to long to make. I can't stand it. My husband makes super yummy fried rice. I just let him make that to satisfy my craving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These actually didn't take too long to make, the fried rice by itself only took about 15 minutes. The prep time on the lo mein took a little while though.

      Delete
  2. That looks SO good! Too bad the noodles were not as good as you were hoping. I definitely want to try the rice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I had used the right noodles it would have been better but I like using what I have in the pantry instead of buying extra. Definitely try the rice, it was so good! I found Jasmine rice that cooks in a bag in just a few minutes, I start it first while I am chopping everything, that way it has time to cool in the fridge before putting it into the skillet.

      Delete