Thursday, August 4, 2016

After Dark Re-Read Review of Heart Mate by Robin D. Owens

I have added After Dark Reviews to my blog as a way of notifying you of a review of a book with Adult themes and scenes. From now on I will keep my reviews of all books I read that have explicit scenes in them for late night posts for those of you who prefer to avoid them or easy to find for those of you who seek them out ;)
 
 
Read For: Series Challenge & Re-Read for refresher
 
 Synopsis: "All his life, Rand T’Ash has looked forward to meeting his HeartMate, with whom he could begin a family. Once a street tough, now a respected nobleman and artisan, he has crafted the perfect HeartGift, which, in the custom of the psychically gifted population of the planet Celta, is the way a man finds—and attracts—his wife…

Danith Mallow is irresistibly drawn to the magnificent necklace on display in T’Ash’s shop, but she is wary of its creator, despite an overpowering attraction. In a world where everyone is defined by their psychic ability, Danith has little, placing her at the opposite end of the social spectrum from T’Ash. But T’Ash refuses to accept her rejection and sees it as a challenge instead. They are HeartMates, but can T’Ash persuade his beloved to accept her destiny by his side?"


My Review: I am finally re-reading this series since several new books have come out in the years since I last read these. I listened to the audio book for this one this time and it was a rather long and drawn out narration. It was also more confusing than I remember it being. There is a lot of world building necessary for this book and series and there are definitely some things like rituals and powers that aren't really clear but that you can form rough ideas (I think they become more clear as the series continues). I enjoy the characters of the book, they each have a lot of depth to them. Of course Zanth is fantastic, the cat attitude came across perfectly. There is a lot of sexual tension in this book and romance is the main theme but there are also several background story lines developing as well. I must say that this might be a book that is best read instead of audio though, I felt like I wasn't able to settle into the story as well as I did in the past.
 
 
My Rating: For some reason this one wasn't nearly as good of a re-read, I think part of it was because of the narration of the audiobook (I think I just don't like male narrators in general).  It was still good but definitely not for everyone, one thing to keep in mind is that this is the start of a 14+ book long fantasy/sci-fi series and the base to build off. I give it a rating of Three Paws.

No comments:

Post a Comment