Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Review of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

 
Synopsis: "The Dursleys were so mean and hideous that summer that all Harry Potter wanted was to get back to the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. But just as he's packing his bags, Harry receives a warning from a strange, impish creature named Dobby who says that if Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts, disaster will strike.

And strike it does. For in Harry's second year at Hogwarts, fresh torments and horrors arise, including an outrageously stuck-up new professor, Gilderoy Lockheart, a spirit named Moaning Myrtle who haunts the girl's bathroom, and the unwanted attentions of Ron Weasley's younger sister, Ginny.

But each of these seem minor annoyances when the real trouble beings, and someone--or something--starts turning Hogwarts students to stone. Could it be Draco Malfoy, a more poisonous rival than ever? Could it possibly be Hagrid, whose mysterious past is finally told? Or could it be the one everyone at Hogwarts most suspects...Harry Potter himself."


My Review: Really?! Why did everyone rave about this series, granted everyone keeps telling me that the next books get better but why would you have even continued to read the series to find that out? I unfortunately feel like I need to finish the series since it was a gift from my Hubby and if I don't read the books he gives me he may stop feeding my book devouring habit! So anyway back to the story, the characters were again so dull and boring (not to mention sometimes all high and mighty) that I had no connection to them at all. Thank goodness Ginny showed up and portrayed some real emotion and personality! Again the story was really drawn out and only seemed to pick up steam the last 50 or so pages. Though I do appreciate the fact that there is time between the events, not everything happens within two weeks which seems a lot more genuine. All in all I am still horribly disappointed and just want to push through and finish this series up so I can put it on a shelf to just look pretty.
 
My Rating: So yea, I know so many of you absolutely loved this series but I just don't get it. I almost don't want to have my son ever read these books because I am afraid it could possibly ruin his love for reading.  I give it a rating of One Paw and a Stump Wag.

No comments:

Post a Comment