Saturday, May 24, 2014

Graphic Novel Review of Relish by Lucy Knisley

 
Synopsis: "A vibrant, food-themed memoir from beloved indie cartoonist Lucy Knisley.

Lucy Knisley loves food. The daughter of a chef and a
gourmet, this talented young cartoonist comes by her
obsession honestly. In her forthright, thoughtful, and
funny memoir, Lucy traces key episodes in her life thus
far, framed by what she was eating at the time and lessons
learned about food, cooking, and life. Each chapter is
bookended with an illustrated recipe—many of them
treasured family dishes, and a few of them Lucy's original
inventions.

A welcome read for anyone who ever felt more passion
for a sandwich than is strictly speaking proper, Relish is a
book for our time: it invites the reader to celebrate food
as a connection to our bodies and a connection to the
earth, rather than an enemy, a compulsion, or a
consumer product."


My Review: As soon as I saw this book I had to have it, who wouldn't love books, graphic novels and food rolled into one?! I thought it was a very interesting concept and it was done well. I did have a little issue with how it would jump around from time to time, but still enjoyed the storyline and the images (you can see the inspiration for the images at the back of the book with actual pictures from Lucy's life). I loved the recipes that were included! I am definitely going to make several of them, especially the lamb. I also liked some of the little informational bits. It was a real inspiration for cooking, growing your own food and getting out to discover new eateries.
 
My Rating: This was such a unique book, but if you are looking for a traditional graphic novel this may not be it for you. It is definitely written as a memoir just with comic style images.  I give it a rating of Four Paws.

No comments:

Post a Comment