Saturday, December 28, 2013

Review of Catching the Barramundi by Rebecca Burns

 
Synopsis: "Sudden, shattering moments of realisation; creeping, gradual self-awareness - Catching the Barramundi is a collection of contemporary short stories charting the dichotomous processes of reassessment and reflection. A lonely widow living in the Australian Outback has an unexpected encounter with a visiting scientist; an ice-hockey star returns to the site of his home town, now razed to the ground; a grieving husband recalls incidents from his married life - the characters in each tale experience moments of introspection and self-scrutiny, quite out of step with their daily lives."

My Review: This was a very interesting collection of short stories. They were not written or collected to make you happy or to give you some fantasy or romantic hopes. They are to make you think, to ponder life and where it can lead. My favorite stories of the collection were Hades Landing, it makes me think about the fact that this could very easily happen to my own mining home town, and Loving Enid, it was so emotional it nearly brought me to tears. Those being my favorites but all of the stories were great in their own ways, each so unique.
 
My Rating: It was oddly refreshing to read this collection of short stories and there wasn't the typical happily ever after. They really made you sit back and ponder a little. I give this collection a rating of Three Paws.
 
 
Catching the Barramundi was sent to me by the author for an honest review.
 
You can find out more about her and her work on her Goodreads Page or Website.
 
You can also obtain your own copy in digital or print formats on Amazon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment