Saturday, February 27, 2021

Date Night with a Book: Hades and Persephone: The Curse of the Golden Arrow by Heidi Hastings & Erica Hastings

 Date Night with a book is the new After Dark series of posts on my blog, books posted for Date Nights contain Adult  Romance themes and scenes. From now on I will keep my reviews of all books I read that have explicit scenes in them for Date Night posts for those of you who prefer to avoid them or easy to find for those of you who seek them out ;)


Read for: TBR Books/ Fantasy Romance February

Synopsis: "A Cursed Love...When Persephone is forced into the Underworld, she fears the Dark Lord who rules the shadowed kingdom. A curse has brought them together, and the Goddess of Spring wars against Hades, the King of the Dead. But as time passes, she begins to wonder if he is truly the monster she fears or if he may be the very answer her soul calls out for. Lies, jealousy and betrayal combine to keep them apart. Together, they battle against an unknown foe, but is there enough time to reveal the dark truths of the God before his kingdom falls?"

My Review: I am always up for a good Hades and Persephone re-telling and stumbled up on this one on Amazon last year. I was finally able to pick it up and I really am glad I did! I was really drawn into the story and I love the different twist Hastings put on this re-telling. It follows a lot of the traditional story lines but with a twist that made it not quite so brutal or stockholm-ish, it was a bit more a mutual entrapment. I also really enjoyed the twists in the roles other Gods and Goddesses played in the story, it fed into that Greek mythology meddling that is a common thread throughout the traditional myths. I have to say, I wish the print book had the gorgeous colors on the illustrations that are in the ebook copy, the illustration in both versions are absolutely stunning! All in all this was a really great version of the myth and I hope to see more re-tellings along these same lines.

My Rating: I really enjoyed this slightly different take on the classic Hades and Persephone myth, it made it not quite so brutal or violent but still maintained that element of being forced into a situation and finding solace there.  I give it a rating of Four Paws!



No comments:

Post a Comment