Saturday, December 14, 2019

Advent Reads Day 14: Graphic Novel Review of Klaus: The New Adventures of Santa Claus by Grant Morrison & Illustrated by Dan Mora

Welcome to Advent Reads!
This is an event I have had on my blog for several years running now.  Each evening I feature a different holiday themed book. Think of it as your Book Advent Calendar! I post a variety of holiday books including romance, children's, middle-grade, mystery, paranormal, and I try to find some that are other holiday celebrations than Christmas too. I hope you will stop by each evening to see what new book I have for you!


Read for: Recently Added & Graphic Novel Challenge

Previous Volume:


Synopsis: "The smash-hit series by legendary creator Grant Morrison and young phenom artist Dan Mora returns with this special collection of holiday themed stories.

An ageless ice queen commanding an army of robotic snowmen built of enchanted wood. An evil soda corporation hellbent on trademarking Christmas itself at the behest of a dark doppelganger. It’s all just another day in the life of Klaus, the man who became Santa Claus. 

Luminary author Grant Morrison (All-Star Superman, Happy!) and Eisner Award-nominated illustrator Dan Mora (Saban's Go Go Power Rangers) bring their lauded reinvention of Santa Claus fully into the 21st century with two modern tales of Klaus saving Christmas from sinister threats that span dimensions."

My Review: After absolutely loving volume 1, I was pretty excited to see Klaus' story continued. Instead of having a cohesive story line throughout this volume, it is more of a bunch of stories broken up, they do have connections but they don't read like a full story. I also wasn't as much of a fan of the stories themselves, it does have a great basis in the commercial war on Christmas but the execution wasn't my cup of tea. For those that really like much darker and obscure almost sci-fi books, this might be more enjoyable but for me it just went a bit too far into the weird.

My Rating: I was kind of bummed about this one, I absolutely loved the first volume, the artwork was stunning and the story a beautiful blend of various folk tales made for a great origin story.  Unfortunately, this one just didn't hold up to the original. I give it a rating of Two Paws.



No comments:

Post a Comment