Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Advent Reads Day 10: Special Gifts by Cynthia Rylant & Illustrated by Wendy Anderson Halperin

Welcome to Advent Reads!
This is an event I have had on my blog for several years running now.  Each evening I feature a different holiday themed book. Think of it as your Book Advent Calendar! I post a variety of holiday books including romance, children's, middle-grade, mystery, paranormal, and I try to find some that are other holiday celebrations than Christmas too. I hope you will stop by each evening to see what new book I have for you!

Read for: TBR/ Beat the Backlist

Synopsis: "It's winter vacation, and the Cobble Street Cousins have lots of fun to share with chapter book readers, such as learning to sew from their friend, Mrs. White, keeping a dairy of their wonderful year at Aunt Lucy's, and best of all, enjoying a Winter Solstice party with Aunt Lucy and her boyfriend, Michael."

My Review: I have had this book sitting on my shelf for a while now, just waiting to be picked up. It is a very cute book about 3 little girls living with their Aunt. It is the 3rd book in the series but you don't have to read the previous two books to enjoy this one. It really has a feel like the Little House on the Prairie stories but more modern and updated. I like how this story revolves around kindnesses to so many people, simple smiles and company can go further than a gift. It also revolves around the Winter Solstice as opposed to Christmas as a time for gathering together, which is also refreshing. It is pretty easy to read and is meant for young readers just getting into chapter books (on about the same level as Magic Tree House books).

My Rating: This was a really fun and refreshing book to read. I appreciate how it was centered around the gift of time and talents as opposed to material belongings. I give it a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag.

No comments:

Post a Comment