Thursday, October 31, 2019

Review of Frankenstein by Mary Shelley adapted for young readers by Rosie Dickins & Illustrated by Victor Tavares

Read for: Favorite Books!

Synopsis: "Victor Frankenstein dreams of doing what his scientific peers called impossible; creating life from death. As lightning flashes across the sky, his creature stirs. But will it be the perfect being he imagines, or a monster?"


My Review: Since Frankenstein is my favorite book and I make it no secret, Munchkin has been wanting to know what it was all about, so I set out to find the perfect young reader edition for him. This one did a really good job of condensing the story and getting across a bit of the story without being overly scary for a young reader. It didn't quite convey the concept of there being multiple forms of monstrous behavior but it is a concept that might be above the average young reader's abilities. I think this would be great for readers (or parents reading to them) between the ages of 6 to 9. The illustrations really added a nice element to the story and helps young readers stay engaged in the story and understand it as well.


My Rating: I think this is a very good adaptation for younger readers, it doesn't quite convey my favorite parts but it is still a good introduction to the story.  Munchkin has yet to read it (I wanted to check it first) but I am looking forward to him starting to enjoy my favorite! I give it a rating of Three Paws!


No comments:

Post a Comment