Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Advent Reads Day 18: Young Scrooge by R. L. Stine

Read for: Recently Added

Synopsis: "Rick Scroogeman hates Christmas. He can't stand the carols and the pageants. He can't stand the lights and the mistletoe. But what he hates the most is having to watch the old movie A Christmas Carol every year at school. Since his name is Scroogeman, all of his classmates start calling him Scrooge. And he hates being called Scrooge.

But everything starts to change when three ghosts visit him. At first, he thinks it's a dream. But then he realizes that it might be a nightmare. A nightmare that could become real.

Young Scrooge: A Very Scary Christmas Story is a funny, scary middle-grade send up of A Christmas Carol, about a boy who hates Christmas, from bestselling Goosebumps author R. L. Stine."

My Review: As a kid, I wasn't a huge fan of the Goosebump books because I didn't like scary, but I thought I would give this one a try for Christmas instead of all the happy feel good books. While this wasn't as spooky as I remember Stine's books being, it was still a bit on the darker side. It was a great book for the target audience, addressing bullying and respect and appreciation, all wrapped up in a Christmas Carol inspired story. I did find that Rick had a rather abrupt turn around but as it is for a younger audience and the story was starting to get a bit long for that age, I can see how it was necessary. It is was a fun switch from my usual holiday reads and I think it would have a lot of appeal for his fans and younger readers.

My Rating: This was a fun read, I am sure some kids will find it scary and others will love that thrill, it is up to you to decide if it is good for your kids. It is not a book for Munchkin but I found it to be an quick entertaining read, though more appropriate for a younger audience.  I give it a rating of Three Paws.

No comments:

Post a Comment