Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Review of Dusk or Dark or Dawn or Day by Seanan McGuire

Read for: Recent Purchase/ Audio book

Synopsis: "When her sister Patty died, Jenna blamed herself. When Jenna died, she blamed herself for that, too. Unfortunately Jenna died too soon. Living or dead, every soul is promised a certain amount of time, and when Jenna passed she found a heavy debt of time in her record. Unwilling to simply steal that time from the living, Jenna earns every day she leeches with volunteer work at a suicide prevention hotline.

But something has come for the ghosts of New York, something beyond reason, beyond death, beyond hope; something that can bind ghosts to mirrors and make them do its bidding. Only Jenna stands in its way."

My Review: This was actually the first McGuire book to attract my attention, but I did end up reading it after the Wayward Children series. I listened to the audio book version of it and was a little thrown for a loop. I hadn't really paid attention to the synopsis and really should have because I wasn't expecting the whole ghost/spirit element of the story. It was a little odd to read but it was enjoyable with some interesting characters. I love the idea of going home and being an anchor for your town, though the process is a little vague and unexplained. I had a hard time following a lot of the mystical/magical portions of the story and how exactly it worked, and would have appreciated a longer book to included more explanation on that part. The climax of the story and conflict was rather rushed and came to a sudden and abrupt halt, I read the whole book building up to it and then suddenly the book was over, leaving me a little out of sorts at the end. All in all it was an interesting book that offered something a little different with some unique ideas but it left something to be desired for me.

My Rating: This is a bit of a tough one to rate, there are elements I really appreciated but it just didn't work well for me, I really needed more development or at least explanation on certain elements, maybe it would have gone better if I had read the print version, something I may revisit down the road. For now I give it a rating of Two Paws and a Stump Wag.

1 comment:

  1. It’s interesting how format can make or break a story. Sometimes I have to switch mid book.

    ReplyDelete