Saturday, February 3, 2018

Graphic Novel Review of Little Tails on the Farm by Frederie Brremaud & Federico Bertolucci

Read for: Netgalley/ Requested Review/ Graphic Novel Challenge

Synopsis: "Little Tails is a series of young readers graphic novels created by Eisner Award–nominated illustrator Federico Bertolucci and writer Frédéric Brrémaud, creators of the world-famous, multi-award winning Love series of silent, wildlife graphic novels.

In each volume of Little Tails, Chipper and Squizzo set out on a fun, educational journey to a different location, encountering the real-world animals found there in beautiful illustration and fun cartoon strip antics. In this new volume, they visit a nearby farm and meet a wide variety of new and interesting domestic and wild animals!
--
Chipper and Squizzo set out on a hunt for some fresh milk for their breakfast, taking the adventurous duo across the fields of a nearby farm, where they meet horses, pigs, goats, bulls, and more!"


My Review: I have been wanting to give on of the Little Tails issues a try after they attracted my attention a year or so ago, so when this one came available on Netgalley I jumped at the opportunity. I love that there are more and more graphic novels and comics being made available to younger reading audiences, it is a great way to bridge the gap from illustrated picture books to novels and chapter books. Graphic Novels are also a great way to help young readers who may not be as interested in the activity to focus on a book. With that said, I don't think I have ever seen one done quite the way that Little Tails is done. It combines the classic comic cartoon strip with beautiful and artistic illustration. On each page is a short comic featuring the characters Chipper and Squizzo in simple cartoon pencil style and then the scene or animal on the farm they are discussing fills the remainder of the page in a beautiful artistic and realistic style. It really took me a bit to wrap my head around it but the funny adventure that the pair were on drew me in, along with the use of facts throughout the story. I don't know how well young readers will be able to make the connection between the comic and the images but it is certainly a unique book to share.
 

My Rating: This was an unusually formatted book, even for a graphic novel. I am not sure how that will translate for everyone but I found it unique and I love that it is written for children but enjoyable for all.  I give it a rating of Three Paws.


I received this book via Netgalley, the above is my honest review.

For more information about Frederie Brremaud and his work please check out his Goodreads Page.

Little Tails on the Farm was just released on January 16th and you can obtain your own copy in print format from Barnes & Noble or in print and digital formats from Amazon or check with your favorite comic book store or book supplier.

No comments:

Post a Comment