Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Review of Marabel and the Book of Fate by Tracy Barrett

Read for: Requested Review/ Netgalley


Synopsis: "In Magikos, life is dictated by the Book of Fate's ancient predictions, including the birth of a royal Chosen One who will save the realm. Princess Marabel has grown up in the shadow of her twin brother, Marco, who everyone assumes is the true Chosen One. While Marco is adored and given every opportunity, Marabel is overlooked and has to practice her sword fighting in secret.

But on the night of their thirteenth birthday, Marco is kidnapped by an evil queen, and Marabel runs to his rescue. Outside the castle walls for the first time, accompanied by her best friend and a very smug unicorn, Marabel embarks on a daring mission that brings her face-to-face with fairies, trolls, giants--and the possibility that all is not as it seems in Magikos."


My Review: As with so many other books lately, I was completely drawn in by the unicorn on the cover and then the synopsis sounded like a grand and magical adventure. The book starts off great setting Marabel up as a completely ordinary princess, but then we are led to feel bad for her for being ignored in favor of her brother. I always have difficulty with when we are basically told to have sympathy for a character, but this seems to be common in middle grade books. After that the adventure takes off. I do like how Marabel cares so much for her brother, even if she is brushed aside for him, in my opinion family should always have a priority in your life and this does a great job of giving that message in a fun way. The underlying message of following your heart and being true to yourself while seeking your own destiny was interwoven throughout the story beautifully. I loved all the unique characters that are introduced in the story, the friendships that are built with that variety of creatures and characters is a great example to set for the young readers.

My Rating: While the adventure was a little slow and a bit anti-climatic, it was the people that Marabel meets and the unique way of solving problems that kept me reading. I think that young readers will really enjoy this book.  I give it a rating of  Three Paws and a Stump Wag.


I received this book via Netgalley, the above is my honest review.

You can find out more about Tracy Barrett and her work on her Goodreads Page or Website.

Marabel and the Book of Fate is schedule for release on February 6th but you can pre-order your copy in print or digital format from Amazon or Barnes & Noble or ask for it at your favorite bookstore.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds cute. I wonder if the lack of action will turn MG readers off from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have read it purely for the unicorns but I do think that I would have gotten a little bored with it.

      Delete