Saturday, April 22, 2017

RI Author Feature: The Longest Game by Steven Krasner

 
 
Synopsis: "A non-fiction account of the longest game in professional baseball history, a 33-inning game between the Pawtucket Red Sox and the Rochester Red Wings played in 1981 at McCoy Stadium in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. Two of the players in the game became major league superstars: Wade Boggs and Cal Ripken, Jr. How well did they do? Check out the box score at the end of the book."

My Review: I had only heard about this historic event in baseball briefly in the past but being that it took place in RI and the book is written by a RI Author, I thought I should pick it up. I like that it is a non-fiction accounting of the game. It is a little repetitive, giving an overview at the beginning and then going into more detail throughout the book made it a little long for young readers to sit through. It would be great though for those young baseball fans or those going to see a game at McCoy stadium. The pencil illustrations were great and gave a classic feel that matched the book well.
 
My Rating: This was a little repetitive but it would be fun for those young baseball fans and players.  I also love that while an obscure fact in most of the world, it is non-fiction and an actual event.  We give it a rating of Three Paws.
 
Note: We are sitting at Munchkin's very first Tball game now, thankfully at this point they limit the number of innings and length of the innings!
 
You can find out more about Steven Krasner and his other works on his Goodreads Page or Website.
 
I had picked up my copy of this book at a local event but you can order your own copy in print format from Amazon or see if your local bookshop can order a copy for you.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not a baseball fan so I don't know if I'd ever even give this one a go but I love how eclectic your RI month is turning out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not much of a baseball fan but Tball has been entertaining. I love trying to find a variety of books to share.

      Delete
  2. I like to watch baseball, but I'm not a huge fan. I don't follow teams or anything, so I probably would enjoy this one. Are there other bloggers doing your RI books thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was minor league baseball, but it is fun to learn the history of the sport a little. I don't know of any other RI bloggers, I keep hoping I will find someone but nothing yet. I would love to make it a joint event with someone!

      Delete