Tuesday, April 18, 2017

RI Author Feature: Hidden Presences by Jenna O'del

 
Synopsis: "In the middle of the night, Adamar the fox's kit, Miro, is stolen. When Adamar learns about Miro's disappearance, he is guided towards the Darvin kingdom, and its king, Girbindon. Adamar and his fellow archers head out on a quest to bring Miro home. On the quest, they must fight the forces of Girbindon, who is determined to keep Miro for his evil plans. Adamar is ready to get Miro back at any cost, but he quickly begins to discover just how far Girbindon's influence reaches."

My Review: I discovered this book at a local RI Author event last spring, I was very impressed to find a teen with a published book. This book had some unique story ideas and quite an adventure story. I did find that there was a lot of repetition in descriptions and at times it got a little tedious to read, but with continued writing experience and some editing this will improve. The characters were anthropomorphic and each had very unique qualities, you didn't forget what species they were or that they had animal instincts and tendencies. I think that readers from middle grade on up will be able to enjoy this book.
 
My Rating: I tend to really like the idea of anthropomorphic books but I do end up struggling with them.  This book did a great job of making it clear that the characters were not entirely human which does help.  I give it a rating of Three Paws.
 
 
I had the pleasure of meeting this young teen author at an author event last spring.  It is always impressive to find someone so young publishing a book. I am sure with continued work and experience her books will improve with each step.  You can find out more about Jenna O'del and her work on her Goodreads Page or Website.
 
You can also obtain your own copy of this first book in the Hidden Strength Series in either print or digital format from Amazon.
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! She's young. It sounds like she'll be getting better and better as a writer as she goes.

    ReplyDelete