Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Christmas Fun Day 21: The Joy of Giving

Hello and Happy Holiday season everyone! In addition to my Advent Reads event this holiday season, I thought I would post earlier in the day with different things we do each day to have fun and celebrate this season. I hope you will join us and also maybe share some of your own traditions or ways you celebrate.
 
I try to teach Munchkin new things by setting a good example and by having him participate or do it himself. Part of Christmas for me has always been giving back to others. When I was a kid my dad worked swing shifts so would often work on Christmas, so we would just adjust our celebration a few days earlier or later, and instead of sitting at home my Mom would take us to the local soup kitchen to help serve lunch or dinner, or on Christmas Eve we would be wrapping and delivering gifts to families who couldn't afford them. Now I want to instill that same spirit of giving in Munchkin, he is still too young to go work at a soup kitchen but we can still donate toys to kids who don't have any.
 
Over the course of the year we put together shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child, the drop off day was back in November but I thought I would share our stack of 12 boxes with you. It was relatively easy to stuff these boxes, I ended up with a few bags of extra things that I couldn't fit. Munchkin had fun helping pick out the little toys that would go in each one and he helped make sure each box got a toothbrush, soap, wash clothes, undies, socks and a stuffed friend. He hugged each stuffed friend before he put them in the box.
 
 
 
The other way that was easy to give back was Toys for Tots. Dropping off the gifts this close to Christmas really sparked some pouting that lead to some great discussions about appreciating what we have and giving to those who don't have anything. After some intense conversations, Munchkin eventually came around and picked out some toys to donate and put them in the box (which was huge and Daddy had to lift him up).

 
 
 
 
How do you give back during this holiday season?
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Great lesson to teach him. It can be hard to give but I find it's the only thing that can get me into the Christmas mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really important lesson for him to learn but he doesn't quite understand the point because he hasn't ever seen in person someone who has less.

      Delete