Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Review of Paper Hearts by Meg Wiviott

Read For: Because it sounded like a great book and didn't disappoint
 
Synopsis: "A novel in verse, Paper Hearts is the story of survivial, defiance, and friendship. Based on historical events about a group of girls who were slave laborers at the munitions factory in Auschwitz."

My Review: I picked up this book on a whim because I have really been loving books written in verse. This book while beautiful is unbelievably painful to read the way the girls suffered. Meg Wiviott did an amazing job finding the words that could describe the horrors they faced without sugar coating it but still fit into the beauty and flow that is verse. I am sure there are some liberties taken but the fact that it is based on the actual events and that the time was taken to seek out as many of the girls who were a part of the story and to stick as close as possible to the actual events was really appreciated.
 
My Rating: I was really happy with this book, I never expected it to be as good as it was and am surprised I haven't heard more about it from other readers.  I give it a rating of Four Paws!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one. It sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of it either but found it in a Scholastic Book Club order form for teens, it said if you like books in verse and history to try this one. It was an intense read but so good!

      Delete