Sunday, April 3, 2016

RI Author Feature: The Ferry Home by Debbie Kaiman Tillinghast

 
Synopsis: "Step back in time to a simpler life as you read this captivating memoir of growing up in the 1950s on the small island of Prudence along the New England coast. A story of reconnecting to long-forgotten childhood bonds and memories, Debbie Kaiman Tillinghast's "The Ferry Home" embraces joyful moments with humor and more troubling emotions with compassion. If you have ever faced emotional challenges within your family or had a sibling relationship with both squabbles and shared mischief, if you have found peace in one memorable place, or if you have ever longed for any of these, then this book is for you. Experience the rhythm of life on Prudence Island, the ebb and flow of changing tides and seasons, and the patterns and relationships that emerge. It is a place where independence is fostered, but friends are always there when needed. As Debbie's vivid accounts unfold, you will feel like you too have just stepped off the ferry and been embraced by the tiny Prudence Island community."

My Review: This is a lovely book that takes you back to Ms. Tillinghast's childhood on a island in Narragansett Bay, it will also bring back your own memories or stories passed down from family members. It is wonderfully reminiscent and gives you a clear picture of what it was like growing up on Prudence Island. I really enjoyed reading this book, it brought me back to my own childhood in a tiny, remote town in the middle of Wyoming, while learning a little more about the local history and island lifestyle of my now home state of Rhode Island.
 
My Rating: We may not have towns in the middle of open plains or giant forests in Rhode Island but we certainly have tiny towns on isolated islands throughout the states. Debbie does a great job of developing a picture of living on Prudence Island and also what time has changed and left unchanged.  I give this book a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag.
 
 
 
I met Debbie Kaiman Tillinghast at the RI Author Expo in December 2015.  She will be appearing at the Warwick Public Library on April 9th, if you can not attend you can learn more about Ms. Tillinghast on her Facebook page.
 
You can also purchase your own copy of The Ferry Home at Indigo River Publishing or Amazon

2 comments:

  1. This would be a fun read. I live in the mountains but the sea is my real love. I need to live by it some day. Living on an island would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really nostalgic read, and while I would prefer the mountains I think the small island had the same small town feel as my home town.

      Delete