Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Review of Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot

Read for: Mount TBR Print & Series Challenge
 
Synopsis: "Mia Thermopolis is pretty sure there's nothing worse than being a five-foor-nine, flat-chested freshman, who also happens to be flunking Algebra.

Is she ever in for a surprise.

First Mom announces that she's dating Mia's Algebra teacher. Then Dad has to go and reveal that he is the crown prince of Genovia. And guess who still doesn't have a date for the Cultural Diversity Dance?"


My Review: Finally reading this series after watching the movies years ago. I must say that I was a little surprised with how drastically the books and movies are, it is as if the movies took the names and only the basic premise from the books. With that said I am not as keen on the characters in the book, Mia is annoyingly selfish, immature and whiny; Grandmere was a hard nosed, nasty, alcoholic; etc. This series is definitely geared towards the younger to mid-teens with the attitude throughout (I guess now as an adult I don't have the same sympathy for pettiness and teen drama). I did also find it odd how it the formatting kind of jumped in and out of the diary format, it would sound like a diary entry and then it started sounding like a regular book narration. With that all said it is still a relatively enjoyable book and I look forward to the rest of the series.
 
My Rating: I was surprised how different this was from the movie, Mia is younger and much less mature in these books and there are drastic plot differences.  That said it was a good read, though better if you are younger I suppose. I will still continue the series and hope that as she ages in the books that they become better. I give it a rating of Two Paws and a Stump Wag.

2 comments:

  1. I've only seen the movies but I hear good things about the books. I hope she matures as the books go along. I don't think I can handle reading them if they all sound middle grade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope she matures as well, I am a little disappointed with the grandmother because I adored her in the movies. I will have to see how things progress though.

      Delete