Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Reviews & Discussion of the Song of the Lioness (Alanna) Series by Tamora Pierce

 
 
This series has been listed by so many people and blogs as being the one that was their introduction to reading, and/or the fantasy genre.  I am no different.  I gobbled these books up as fast as the library could obtain them, and once I was old enough to have my own money and books, they were some of the first I purchased for my collection.
 
I took some time to re-read these books and found them almost as thrilling and exciting as I did before. I still remembered what was going to happen but I still couldn't wait to read the next page and the next.
 
 
Alanna the First Adventure
My Rating: The characters are still so rich and real and the adventures were just as heart pounding and exciting as the first time I read it so many years ago. Definitely a Four Paw book and one that will always remain on my shelf.
 
In the Hand of the Goddess
My Rating: This one lagged a little for me (even though we got to meet Faithful). With that said though it was still a good book and one that was needed to develop all the characters, including the sub-characters.  I give it a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag.
 
The Woman who Rides like a Man
My Rating: This was another mostly emotional book and a lot about Alanna finding herself. It was a needed book in the series as was the one before it. It was still an enjoyable book, I did find it interesting how quickly in just 3 books Alanna went from 11 years old to almost a new adult type book.  I give it a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag.
 
 
The Lioness Rampant
My Rating: I think this might be my favorite of the series. It was a wonderful combination of adventure and emotion. I give this one a rating of Four Paws and a Stump Wag.
 
 
 
This series was just as good this time around as it was the first time around! The greatest part was you really didn't have to say goodbye to the characters you loved because while Alanna's story was the focus another series started up Protector of the Small (there are also several other series in the Tortall world) and if I read correctly Ms. Pierce is planning to release 2 more books next year in the Tortall world too!
 
 
So was this one of the series that you read? Or was there another particular book or series that you can look back on and pinpoint 'that is where this all started'?
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment