Thursday, October 9, 2014

Review of Horse Crazy by Bonnie Bryant & Discussion of the Saddle Club Books

 
 
Synopsis: "Carole Hanson and Stevie Lake have been best friends ever since they met at Pine Hollow Stables. So when Lisa Atwood joins their riding group, the girls aren't sure she's got what it takes. Lisa may be the smartest student in the classroom, but she's got a lot to learn when it comes to horses. . . ."


My Review: It has been decades since I last read this book and thought it was about time I did again (especially since I have always ranked this series in high importance). It was really interesting to read this book as compared to middle grade and young adult books now. These characters seem so much more real, they have emotions, they are judgmental, they are selfish, but they are open to new relationships and experiences. While some of the aspects of the book are outdated (Stevie wins a Walkman from the cassette music store) I think that this could still be an influential book for those young girls entering the daunting world of the teen years.
 
 
My Rating: This first book in the series wasn't quite as great as I remember but I think it was more the series as a whole that I remember being so great.  I do still give this one a rating of Three Paws.
 
 
 
 
 
Memories of
The Saddle Club . . .
 
This particular series was huge for me. I have always been horse obsessed and this series of books started coming out at just the right time for me, they were a little advanced but I was able to start reading them fairly quickly after they came out.  On top of that my parents had finally okayed me riding horses with a friend. For years we traded copies of these books back and forth depending on who had what number.  Once she got her own horse and we got old enough to be left to our own devises with the horses we started acting out the books in full force.  I was always Carol and my horse was Starlight, she was always Stevie and her horse was Belle, I also had another friend that would join us on occasion and she became Lisa. I honestly wish every little girl got to grow up acting out her favorite book (well at least within reason, some of these books the kids read now I would worry about them acting out). I now own the entire Saddle Club Series including all the Super Editions and Inside Stories, this is definitely a series I will forever treasure (like my great aunt did her Nancy Drew series).

No comments:

Post a Comment