Saturday, September 13, 2014

Mindless Weekend Ramblings: I was Tagged

Welcome to my new blog event called Mindless Weekend Rambling where I will ramble on and on aimlessly about all the junk rolling around in my brain. Occasionally I might rant and rave about something that is bothering me or question the sanity of it all, or maybe choose to discuss my to do list or plans that I am making or maybe share something new I learned. The only thing I can guarantee is that it will be totally off the cuff. I hope you will bear with me and maybe get a laugh or two in the process.
 
 
 
I was so planning to torture you guys and maybe give you a good laugh about my packing methods but I was so busy this week I didn't even get a chance to take pictures of the chaotic (yet oddly organized) task.  So instead I decided to share something else with you.
 
A couple of weeks ago there was a tagging thing going around on Facebook (no not the ALS thing) about the books that stuck with you.  You had to come up with the list without too much pondering and it could only be 10 books (I know it was crazy hard). So a good friend of mine who has opened new books and genres to me (including my obsession with graphic novels) tagged me and here is my response . . .
 
 

 1. Sabriel by Garth Nix - this was the first book I remember staying up all night to finish back in Jr. High both from the suspense and a little from fear but in the... end to find out what happens.


 2. Alanna the First Adventure (and the rest of the series) by Tamora Pierce - this was the first fantasy book I remember reading and has lead me to voraciously read as many books from the genre as possible.


 3. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley - this was assigned reading in High School and I could not put it down (I remember sneaking it into Mr. Adams Calculus class to read it).


 4. The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri - again assigned reading from my college Epic Poetry class that opened up the genre to me and created a new love of literature, I haven't read epic poetry as much as I would like in recent years, something I must remedy.


 5. Fire by Kristin Cashore - I re-read this book at least once a year. The depth of the characters is outstanding and makes me miss them when I am finished.


 6. Naya Nuki: The Shoshone Girl Who Ran by Kenneth Thomasma - maybe not so much the book as the author. I will forever cherish everything he taught me about writing and his encouragement.


 7. Black Horses for the King by Anne McCaffrey - this one renewed my love for all things Arthurian and I have been compelled to recommend this book to almost anyone who asks for one.


 8. The Lord of the Flies by William Golding - more assigned reading from High School but it influenced so many of the research papers and essays I wrote throughout my education that I couldn't possibly leave it off the list.


 9. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling - taught me a lesson in not following the masses. Just because everyone else raves about a book doesn't mean you will like it, maybe because you have read too many other books that blow it out of the water or maybe just not your taste, but follow your own reading paths instead of everyone else's.


 10. Once Upon a Memory by Nina Laden - a recent read and a children's book to boot. Not all children's books are for children, this one packs a punch almost like no other book I have read. The simplest of lines gives so much to ponder.

 
 
I am going to go into more detail on several of these books next month during my blogiversary where I plan to re-read some of my old favorites from before I started blogging.
 
 
 
So what books would be on your list? 

No comments:

Post a Comment