Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Review of Swept Way by Josepha Sherman

 
Synopsis: "When her eccentric friend Dr. Reit invents an amazing transport into other worlds, Sheila McCarthy accidentally falls through the portal into the kingdom of Arren. There, Sheila finds herself part of a band of warrior-women. Astride unicorns, they gallop toward a dazzling city made of marble. But will they arrive in time to stop the evil king and his wicked wizard henchman from carrying out their deadly plans? And will Sheila ever be able to return home?

Thus begins the spellbinding story of an ordinary teenager trapped in an extraordinary place. Swept Away! and Sun Blind are the first two novels in the dazzling adventure The Secret of the Unicorn Queen.

The Secret of the Unicorn Queen is the newest addition to the Del Rey Imagine program, which offers the best in fantasy and science fiction for readers twelve and up."


My Review: There is a lot going on with this first book in the series. There is some scifi (which I am not a huge fan of but it worked well getting this story started) and then the fantasy element and loads of adventure, even had a little romance mixed in too. The characters took some getting use to but they tend to grow on you. I loved the little bit of romance, it had a very sweet touch but isn't overwhelming and didn't take over the story like happens so much in current novels. I am looking forward to what happens in the rest of the series.
 
My Rating: It was an enjoyable and quick read as an adult, though I think I would have been intimidated by all the science talk when I was younger and just wanted to read about unicorns. That said it was a good start to the series and I am attached to the characters enough to continue reading. I give it a rating of Three Paws.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment