Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Review of The Palace Library by Steven Loveridge

 
Synopsis: "Three children stumble upon an extraordinary library in an old house. Armed with magical books, and accompanied by an enchanting deerhound, they leave through a door that takes them to a world in the past. Beyond the door, a kingdom is in crisis.

The children must unlock the secrets in their books as they face storms, fight traitors and tackle dragons.

The Great Sword of State has been stolen and destroyed. The Queen reveals an ancient prophecy that says only these children can replace the Sword and she sends them on a journey that takes them beyond the world’s end.

Without knowing who they can trust, can they succeed?"


My Review: I was really looking forward to this book, however it wasn't quite what I expected. It was clear that the Chronicles of Narnia was an influence for the author. The book may have been better for a kid because I wasn't too keen on being told what everyone felt or how things were going to happen. I also expected the library to play a lot more of a role, or at least more books to be involved.   The sub-characters were great but sadly outshone the lead characters. It was still a good adventure for younger readers.
 
My Rating: I really wanted to like this book. It just fell a little short for me and I couldn't help but constantly compare it to the Chronicles of Narnia. I give it a rating of One Paw and a Stump Wag.

No comments:

Post a Comment