Saturday, April 20, 2013

Movie Review of Life of Pi

Synopsis: (from Wikipedia) "Life of Pi is a 2012 American 3D live-action/computer-animated adventure drama film based on Yann Martel's 2001 novel of the same name. Directed by Ang Lee, the film is based on an adapted screenplay by David Magee, and stars Suraj Sharma, Irrfan Khan, Gérard Depardieu, Tabu, and Adil Hussain.
The storyline revolves around a 16-year old Indian boy named Piscine Molitor "Pi" Patel, who survives a shipwreck in which his family dies, and is stranded in the Pacific Ocean on a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger named Richard Parker."

My Review: I have wanted to see this movie since it came out but wanted to read the book first.  I really shouldn't have waited, I regret not seeing this one in the theaters. The digital effects are amazing and in my opinion surpass Avatar.  At times you can tell the tiger is animated, but for the most part the majority of the animals are very realistic.  I think the movie was much better than the book, I like how it summarized the first 20 or so chapters nicely and moved on quickly to the bulk of the story.  Obviously the book is so long that it couldn't fit everything into a 2 hour movie so I think it did a great job of including the key points of the story.
 
My Rating: Definitely a must see movie in my opinion and I enjoyed it so much more than the book.  I give it a rating of Four Paws.

No comments:

Post a Comment