Saturday, April 20, 2013

Audio Book Review of Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Synopsis: "Martel's novel tells the story of Pi--short for Piscine--an unusual boy raised in a zoo in India. Pi's father decides to move the family to live in Canada and sell the animals to the great zoos of America. The ship taking them across the Pacific sinks and Pi finds himself the sole human survivor on a lifeboat with a hyena, an orangutan, a zebra with a broken leg and Bengal tiger called Richard Parker. "Life of Pi" brings together many themes including religion, zoology, fear, and sheer tenacity. This is a funny, wise, and highly original look at what it means to be human."

My Review: Hmm had a hard time rating this one. It was very tedious at first and thank goodness I go the audio version otherwise the book would have been put aside for something else. I really could have done without the almost first 2 CDs of theology lessons (was almost 2 hours of listening). For how wordy everything was, it didn't seem to describe things enough for me to get a clear picture of the setting or characters. The story finally started to pick up steam about half way through, maybe because the author could focus on a more limited story line and characters. Then ending is very interesting though (the last CD/10 chapters) and made up for the beginning a little bit. All in all it was a ehh book for me and one that I suggest seeing the movie if it isn't in your normal reading interests.        
 
My Rating: This was definitely a difficult one to rate, as far as writing style it didn't suit me but the story part was great.  I give it a rating of Two Paws.

No comments:

Post a Comment