Friday, July 15, 2011

Bedtime Story: Where the Wild Things Are


Synopsis from Amazon: "Where the Wild Things Are is one of those truly rare books that can be enjoyed equally by a child and a grown-up. If you disagree, then it's been too long since you've attended a wild rumpus. Max dons his wolf suit in pursuit of some mischief and gets sent to bed without supper. Fortuitously, a forest grows in his room, allowing his wild rampage to continue unimpaired. Sendak's color illustrations (perhaps his finest) are beautiful, and each turn of the page brings the discovery of a new wonder.
The wild things--with their mismatched parts and giant eyes--manage somehow to be scary-looking without ever really being scary; at times they're downright hilarious. Sendak's defiantly run-on sentences--one of his trademarks--lend the perfect touch of stream of consciousness to the tale, which floats between the land of dreams and a child's imagination.
This Sendak classic is more fun than you've ever had in a wolf suit, and it manages to reaffirm the notion that there's no place like home."

My Review: I think nearly every person since 1963 has read this book. I love the illustrations and I remember wanting a wolf costume when I was a kid.  I haven't seen the new movie and honestly don't want to because I feel like it would spoil this classic book about a little boy's imagination. Hmm I wonder is this where we all go staring contests?!

My Rating: This book definitely earned its place in my Top Ten list and should get Four Paws and a Stump Wag!


Good Night, Sweet Dreams


2 comments: