Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Advent Reads Day 1: The Christmas Hirelings by Mary Elizabeth Braddon

 Welcome to Advent Reads!

This is an event I have had on my blog for several years running now.  Each evening I feature a different holiday themed book. Think of it as your Book Advent Calendar! I post a variety of holiday books including romance, children's, middle-grade, mystery, paranormal, and I try to find some that are other holiday celebrations than Christmas too. I hope you will stop by each evening to see what new book I have for you!


Synopsis: "With his sole surviving daughter Sybil estranged, and his wife passed away, there is a deficit of Christmas cheer in the near-vacant country mansion of Sir John Penlyon. In an attempt to improve the festive mood, Sir John's good friend Mr Danby suggests that three children be 'hired' over the Christmas period in the hope of brightening the mood. After overcoming his initial reluctance, Sir John soon opens the doors of Penlyon Castle to Lassie, Laddie and little Moppet. Their arrival does more than signal the coming of Christmas however, as Sir John finds himself re-evaluating his past actions."

My Review: This is a book that caught my eye for the holiday season, it was a short read and it gave me a classics vibe (I honestly don't know what year it was published so don't take my word for it). Anyway, it is just the story I look for to get into the holiday spirit, it gave me a bit of Annie feeling with Daddy Warbucks and all combined with a Charles Dickens kind of setting. I really enjoyed Sir John and Moppet, the way their characters interacted just warmed my heart. This is a great little holiday tale and I highly recommend the audio book version!

My Rating: I really enjoyed this short little story, it gave me the warm fuzzies just like I wanted and I really enjoy the classic feel to the story.  I give it a rating of Four Paws!




2 comments:

  1. Sound like a cute story. It reminds me of a movie I saw a long time ago. I think it was called Rags to Riches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did seem super familiar to me, maybe it was a movie or maybe it was read to at school at some point. It was such a cozy little read.

      Delete