Thursday, August 12, 2021

Review of Remote Control by Nnedi Okorafor

 

Read for: Audio Book/Anticipated Release

Synopsis: ""She’s the adopted daughter of the Angel of Death. Beware of her. Mind her. Death guards her like one of its own."

The day Fatima forgot her name, Death paid a visit. From hereon in she would be known as Sankofa­­--a name that meant nothing to anyone but her, the only tie to her family and her past.

Her touch is death, and with a glance a town can fall. And she walks--alone, except for her fox companion--searching for the object that came from the sky and gave itself to her when the meteors fell and when she was yet unchanged; searching for answers.

But is there a greater purpose for Sankofa, now that Death is her constant companion?"

My Review: After really enjoying the Binti series, I have been anticipating this book since I first heard about it. I am so glad I was finally able to pick it up. This was a very intriguing story and you are really drawn into Fatima/Sankofa's story. You are drawn with her through her travels and she tries to find what is hers, where her place is and a place to fit in. I really enjoyed the journey and the struggles she faces, being worshipped, feared and hated. I love how the story is brought around to a conclusion, it is a very satisfactory ending but I still wish we got more.

My Rating: I truly appreciate how Okorafor manages to create vivid worlds and characters you fall in love with in such short books, and still manages to make them so fulfilling and satisfying.  Remote Control definitely continued that trend and I so enjoyed it.  I give this one a rating of Four Paws and definitely recommend it if you aren't sure if you want to get into full length science fiction novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment