Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Review of Murder Past Due by Miranda James

Read for: Recently Added

Synopsis: "There's a cat in the stacks...

...and he makes the purr-fect partner for a librarian-turned-sleuth.

Everyone in Athena, Mississippi, knows librarian Charlie Harris-and his Maine coon cat named Diesel that he walks on a leash. They also know his former classmate-turned-famous bestselling novelist, Godfrey Priest.

But someone in Athena took Godfrey off the bestseller lists- permanently, and with extreme prejudice. Now, Charlie and Diesel must browse through the history section of the town's past to find a killer."

My Review: If you put a cat in a book or on a cover, I am going to want to read it. Now that I have discovered the enjoyment of Cozy Mysteries, it opens up a bunch more options for me. I picked this book up purely because of the cat on the cover and ended up really enjoying it for many reasons. This is the first book in this new to me genre I have read with a male lead character. Even with the lack of the touch of romance that many of them have had to this point, I still really enjoyed it and didn't miss that element. I really liked the small town feel of this story, most of the side characters have a connection going back several years. I also like the almost family feel as the MC, Charlie, takes on border house mates. This is definitely a case of gossip and sticking noses deeper into an investigation that one should, but I found I didn't mind it as much because Charlie wasn't making stupid or dangerous choices. We are given several potential culprits and are clearly lead down a certain path, so the twist throughout the story are mostly surprising and I enjoyed each new added element to the story.

My Rating: I really am glad I picked this book up. It is different from the other Cozy Mysteries I have read and gives me an idea of the variety out there. I really enjoyed it and look forward to trying more in this series. I give it a rating of Three Paws. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment