Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Book Review: Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin

Read for: Recently Added/ Audio Book

Synopsis: "Bound as one to love, honor, or burn.

Two years ago, Louise le Blanc fled her coven and took shelter in the city of Cesarine, forsaking all magic and living off whatever she could steal. There, witches like Lou are hunted. They are feared. And they are burned.

Sworn to the Church as a Chasseur, Reid Diggory has lived his life by one principle: thou shalt not suffer a witch to live. His path was never meant to cross with Lou's, but a wicked stunt forces them into an impossible union—holy matrimony.

The war between witches and Church is an ancient one, and Lou's most dangerous enemies bring a fate worse than fire. Unable to ignore her growing feelings, yet powerless to change what she is, a choice must be made.

And love makes fools of us all."


My Review: I have held off on reading this book for quite a while, with all the hype around it I had a feeling I would want to binge it with the second book. Sadly, that will not be happening. As much as I wanted to like this book, I just couldn't get into it. It is an interesting premise, forcing two types of people who hate each other together. This give a nice redemption arc option and the opportunity for plenty angst. I just didn't get on with the characters, Lou irritated the heck out of me, Reid is a self-righteous you know what, even the side characters really didn't appeal to me, other than Ansel. I would have appreciated more of a focus on the political dynamics of the world as opposed to the two characters I didn't enjoy. I felt like of the 500+ page book, about 300+ pages of it nothing really happens.  The big conflict/climactic scene was so rushed that I really couldn't even follow what was happening. So much was left off page and not explained, I felt like I was missing a few key pieces of information. I think this is just a case of not the right book for me.

My Rating: This just didn't work for me, I felt the world building was lacking, the characters were obnoxious and the story dragged on with little to no development.  I give it a rating of Two Paws. Sadly, I had already purchased the second book and ordered a book box of items for the series, that was how sure I was that I would enjoy this one.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment