Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Review of Queen's Peril by E. K. Johnston

Read for: Anticipated Release/ Audio Book/ Recently Added

Synopsis: "When fourteen-year-old Padmé Naberrie wins the election for Queen of Naboo, she adopts the name Amidala and leaves her family to the rule from the royal palace. To keep her safe and secure, she’ll need a group of skilled handmaidens who can be her assistants, confidantes, defenders, and decoys. Each girl is selected for her particular talents, but it will be up to Padmé to unite them as a group. When Naboo is invaded by forces of the Trade Federation, Queen Amidala and her handmaidens will face the greatest test—of themselves, and of each other."

My Review: This was one of my most anticipated releases of this year and as soon as it was released I dove right in. I loved this book, we get to see the beginning of Padme's journey as Queen Amidala, as well as the origin of the Handmaids and the persona of Amidala. Granted, I am still new to all the new cannon Star Wars books but I am really loving how we get so much off screen story that works with the movies and fills in the gaps, with this book we start a little before Phantom Menace but we do get bits and pieces that fill in during the movie as well. I love how we got to see more of Padme's strengths and intelligence in this book, she is such an underrated character in the movies, and I absolutely love seeing the way she manages to take what power she is given and manipulate it into something she is in control of instead. We also get to know the handmaids and the roles they play in developing the Amidala persona, the way they had to work to perfect it for all of them. In addition to all that (yes there is more) we get more background on other players in the movie saga, even Darth Maul and Palpatine! I so enjoyed the details this book fills in and I really hope there is more to come!

My Rating: I absolutely loved this book, I am so glad that Padme is starting to finally get the recognition she deserves! I can't help but give this a rating of Four Paws and a Stump Wag!


No comments:

Post a Comment