Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Review of Network Effect by Martha Wells

Read for: Anticipated Release/ Audio book/ Recently Added

Prior Murderbot Diaries Books:

Synopsis: "Murderbot returns in its highly-anticipated, first, full-length standalone novel.

You know that feeling when you’re at work, and you’ve had enough of people, and then the boss walks in with yet another job that needs to be done right this second or the world will end, but all you want to do is go home and binge your favorite shows? And you're a sentient murder machine programmed for destruction? Congratulations, you're Murderbot.

Come for the pew-pew space battles, stay for the most relatable A.I. you’ll read this century.


I’m usually alone in my head, and that’s where 90 plus percent of my problems are.

When Murderbot's human associates (not friends, never friends) are captured and another not-friend from its past requires urgent assistance, Murderbot must choose between inertia and drastic action.

Drastic action it is, then."

My Review: I absolutely love the Murderbot books and was really excited to get a full length novel, I was a little nervous about attempting a full length sci-fi. I am happy to say, since I was already familiar with the universe of the Murderbot Diaries, I didn't really struggle with the setting of this one, I was able to wrap my puny human brain around most of the unusual things we encountered throughout the story. That said, this book has been set up as a stand alone novel, so if you are used to sci-fi, you could probably jump right in, we do follow after the other 4 books of the series but it doesn't pick up right where they left off, some time has passed. Network Effect does jump into the action pretty quickly, with a few flash backs here and there, and it doesn't really stop the whole time. *spoiler alert* We get some more ART in this book, and we get right back to the banter between Murderbot and ART with a few new twists along the way. I loved some of the crazy twists that are thrown our way, especially near the end of the book! Those pesky emotions really get in the way. While this was a completely satisfying read, there is definitely an opening for future books and I cannot wait for more!

My Rating: I will read anything Murderbot related at this point! I am loving the direction that Wells is taking the story and characters.  I can't help but give this book a rating of Four Paws! It didn't even feel like we were reading a full length novel, the action kept such a fast pace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment