Thursday, May 21, 2020

Intimidating Books on My TBR

So we are nearing the end of another round of Tome Topple, and I have to say this challenge has really helped push me into reading some intimidating books over the years.  Yet no matter how many I read there are still some really intimidating books sitting on my shelves!  So in honor of reading a few more big books off my shelves, I thought I would take a moment to highlight some of the books that are still waiting. 


So let's start with the most obvious . . .

  
Not only is this series intimidating sitting on the shelves (with a total page count over 1,800 pages) but there is also the question of whether the 3rd book will ever come out! I don't want to get into a series that I end up loving, only to be left hanging and waiting for the final book like everyone else. 



 
This is another series that is just plain massive sitting on my shelves (with a total page count over 1,700 pages so far).  I haven't heard too much about these books but the story sounds very intriguing. I was tempted to unhaul them at one point but I tried a chapter on the first book and loved it, yet they still sit there waiting. 


  
So as a kid, I was a complete sucker for the Dinotopia books, and these gave me grown up Dinotopia vibes, but I haven't heard a whole lot about them, and what I have heard hasn't been the greatest.  Each book has less than 500 pages so the length shouldn't be so intimidating but I am worried that my expectations may be too high and I will end up disappointed. 


Not every book needs to be chunky to be intimidating.  Dawn Study is only 480 pages, but it is the final book in a 9+ book series that I have loved.  I have had this book on my shelf since it was released but haven't been able to bring myself to read it because I can't bear to say goodbye to favorite characters or see what may happen to them to bring the series to an end. 


Speaking of not so chunky books that are intimidating, at only 399 pages, Dracula is not intimidating in size at all.  I have attempted it in the past but never made it through for whatever reason. I should really enjoy this one, I love books inspired by Dracula, it is often paired with my favorite book Frankenstein as a classic Gothic novel. I am saying it now, I will read this book before the end of 2020!


  
Finally is a series that I have in fact read, but have been wanting to re-read for a few years now.  I remember enjoying these books back when I read them in high school, but the details are fuzzy now. I really want to re-read them, but I am worried that I have come to love the more modern fantasy books with more action too much and won't have quite the same level of love and enjoyment as I had the first time I read them.




What books do you find intimidating? What are some of your most intimidating books?

No comments:

Post a Comment