Saturday, February 22, 2020

Graphic Novel Review of Mooncakes by Suzanne Walker and Illustrated by Wendy Xu

Read for: Graphic Novels & Borrowed Books

Synopsis: "A story of love and demons, family and witchcraft.

Nova Huang knows more about magic than your average teen witch. She works at her grandmothers' bookshop, where she helps them loan out spell books and investigate any supernatural occurrences in their New England town.

One fateful night, she follows reports of a white wolf into the woods, and she comes across the unexpected: her childhood crush, Tam Lang, battling a horse demon in the woods. As a werewolf, Tam has been wandering from place to place for years, unable to call any town home.

Pursued by dark forces eager to claim the magic of wolves and out of options, Tam turns to Nova for help. Their latent feelings are rekindled against the backdrop of witchcraft, untested magic, occult rituals, and family ties both new and old in this enchanting tale of self-discovery."


My Review: I have heard so much about this book so decided to pick it up from my library. It was such a cute little story with an interesting cast of characters. Many readers will really enjoy the diversity and representation in this story that just seems so smooth and just fits. It was also a fun magical journey, it would have been great to read around Halloween, but it wasn't spooky. The romance element was nicely done, it plays a role in the plot but doesn't take over the story. I loved the illustration style, it was colorful and quirky that matched the tone of the story and the characters.

My Rating: This was cute and it was worth the read but I am glad I borrowed it from the library as I don't think this is one that I need to add to my collection.  It certainly feeds into the need of the masses for diverse books and adds a bit of whimsy and magic.  I give it a rating of Two Paws and a Stump Wag.

No comments:

Post a Comment