Saturday, September 21, 2019

Graphic Novel Review: Red Thorn Vol. 1: Glasgow Kiss by David Baillie & Illustrated by Meghan Hetrick

Read for: Graphic Novel Challenge

Synopsis: "On the rain-soaked streets of Glasgow, a girl whose drawings somehow come to life has just stumbled across her one true love. And thousands of miles below those streets, an ancient demi-god plots his escape from the prison where he's been held for nearly two thousand years. Evil forces are at play and no one is safe as the legends of Scottish mythology collide with the modern world."

My Review: I was originally drawn into this one by the stunning illustration on the cover, but it had been sitting on my shelf for some time. I finally got around to picking it up and was rather disappointed. I fell like whole chunks of the story were missing, maybe if it was in video format or in full length novel to fill in the holes, I would have enjoyed it more. The premise behind it that blood of gods gives individuals powers, and that illustrations becoming real and opening doors with those powers, is very intriguing but the delivery left a lot to be desired. The illustrations were great and I kept reading simply because I was enjoying them. Sadly, I won't be continuing the series due to being completely unable to follow the story.

My Rating: I so wanted to like this story, the premise is super intriguing and the art is beautiful and dark but it was just so darn confusing.  I give it a rating of One Paw and a Stump Wag.

No comments:

Post a Comment