Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Mid-Year Book Freak-Out Tag

I have been seeing this tag pop up all over the place lately and while I wasn't tagged, I did want to participate.  I believe the original was created by ReadLikeWildfire on Youtube, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong.  Obviously I am updating it to be current to this year. So on with my freak out  . . . 


Best Book You've Read So Far in 2019
So far this year I have read nearly 140 books, so it can be hard to narrow the list down to just one book but Proud was such a fantastic book, so inspiring and eye-opening, it is definitely the stand out book so far this year!


Best Sequel You've Read So Far in 2019
This is where I am really struggling! I have read some really great follow up books this year but I think one of my favorite sequels is Artificial Condition, and the following two books in the Murderbot Diaries series.


New Release You Haven't Read, But Want To
I have picked up so many books in recent months but there are a few I am more eager to read (and hopefully will be read this month).  Midsummer's Mayhem seems like a perfect summer read with lots of yummy food in it (and of course I will be trying some of the recipes with Munchkin).  Then I have been highly anticipating the next book in the Green Mountain/Butler Vermont series so I am eager to read Till There Was You. And finally, I was curious about The Kingdom, but then I received my Shelf Love Crate copy and the custom art on the dust jacket has a flutter pony on it!!!
 


Most Anticipated Release of the Second Half of the Year
There are so many fantastic releases coming out later this year! Of course we have the popular DarkDawn, Capturing the Devil and The Girl the Sea Gave Back that we are all insanely excited for but there are two other books that are coming out later this year that I am super excited for . . .
 
Kiersten White blew me away with her And I Darken series and The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein, and now she is taking on one of my all time favorites, King Arthur & Guinevere!  Then we have a romance novel about men having a book club reading romance novels, I feel like fun and comedy will be abundant!



Biggest Disappointment
I have had several DNFs this year and several highly hyped books that just fell short for me but I think my biggest disappointment was Cruel Prince and Wicked King.
 


Biggest Surprise
If you are ever looking for a book recommendation, ask your librarian! The Children's librarian in our local library was recommending some books for Munchkin since he is reading Middle Grade books already at 6 years old, we do still have to be very careful with what he reads.  She suggested we try The Wild Robot. It took us a while to read it since we were reading together but it was a fantastic book with some great characters!


Favorite New Author (Debut or New to You)
I had heard a lot about this series, both good and bad but the new covers made me jump in head first.  Granted it is super disappointing that I pushed to read all the books prior to the final book's release, only to find out a couple of weeks before it was due to release that it had been delayed a full year! Oh well, I guess I will just get to revisit all these awesome characters!
  
 


Newest Fictional Crush
I have been up and down with Des from the Bargainer series, I loved him in the first book, not so much in the second book and then loved him again in the novella between the second and third books.  I have yet to read the third and final book but I have high hopes for him.
  


Newest Favorite Character
I totally did not expect to enjoy the book or the characters but I loved Miryem from Spinning Silver, she is so intelligent, clever and stubborn.


Book that Made You Cry
Yup, nothing like animals to make you bawl your eyes out!



Book that Made You Happy
I know this might be odd but this Children's book made me so happy, it is meant to encourage young kids but honestly I found it to be a great reminder about what is important.


Favorite Book to Film Adaptation You Saw This Year
I haven't seen any yet but I plan to watch Crazy Rich Asians within the next couple of weeks and I think I will enjoy it more than the book.


Favorite Review You've Written This Year
This is a bit of a toss up but I think my review of Malice has been the most popular (and I haven't even posted it on the blog yet)


Most Beautiful Book You Bought (or received) This Year
I have picked up some truly beautiful books this year and I just can't pick so I have a tie between Descendant of the Crane and A Conspiracy of Truths.  Descendant has the most beautiful colors and is so detailed, it is truly a work of art.  Truths has this embossed texture on the dust jacket that makes it feel like an old leather book and I love picking it up and holding it.
 



What Books Do You Need to Read by the End of This Year
Gosh there are so many books on my TBR that I want to read by the end of the year and so many more books coming out between now and the end of the year too! I have been picking up a lot of Frankenstein re-tellings and adaptations (and backstory of Mary Shelley) and I really want to read Monsters.   It has also been a year since I read The Tiger's Daughter and I absolutely loved it, but for some reason I have been putting of The Phoenix Empress, so I hope I can pick that up in August.  Finally, I loved Malice but even though I thoroughly enjoyed it, I have still remained intimidated by the rest of the series but I am determined to finish them before the end of the year!
 
 




Gosh, looking back at that post, I am drooling over all these beautiful covers! No wonder my shelves are stuffed full of books.




So are you freaking out yet because half the year is already gone?! If you also post this tag please let me know so I can come check out your answers!




No comments:

Post a Comment