Thursday, March 7, 2019

Review of Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman

Read for: Borrowed Books

Synopsis: "The thrilling, wintry Nordic tale by Neil Gaiman, who weaves a magical story of legend and adventure that will enchant readers from beginning to end.

Odd, a young Viking boy, is left fatherless following a raid. In his icy, ancient world there is no mercy for an unlucky soul with a crushed foot and no one to protect him. Fleeing to the woods, Odd stumbles upon and releases a trapped bear…and then Odd's destiny begins to change.

The eagle, bear, and fox Odd encounters are Norse gods, trapped in animal form by the evil frost giant who has conquered Asgard, the city of the gods. Now our hero must reclaim Thor's hammer, outwit the frost giants and release the gods…"

My Review: I have found it difficult to read Neil Gaiman, but I did enjoy his Norse Mythology book, so I thought maybe this one would be a good book for me to try. I did really enjoy this one, I of course love the mythology woven throughout this story. I also like the folk tale feel to the story. The edition that I read had some really beautiful illustrations in it as well. It was a great book to read on a winter's day too, very atmospheric.

My Rating: After being a little hesitant to pick up another Neil Gaiman, I am glad I decided to pick this one up.  I really enjoyed the myths and the folk tale feel of this story, and the illustrations in this edition were fantastic.  I give it a rating of Four Paws.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this one! I really enjoy Neil Gaiman, but I have only read a couple of his books. I want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just happened to stumble on it at the library. I just cannot get into his writing style in other books but for some reason this one and Norse Mythology I really enjoy.

      Delete