Saturday, December 2, 2017

Advent Reads Day 2: Klaus by Grant Morrison

Welcome to Advent Reads!
This is an event I have had on my blog for several years running now.  Each evening I feature a different holiday themed book. Think of it as your Book Advent Calendar! I post a variety of holiday books including romance, children's, middle-grade, mystery, paranormal, and I try to find some that are other holiday celebrations than Christmas too. I hope you will stop by each evening to see what new book I have for you!



Read for: Graphic Novel Challenge

Synopsis: "Comics legend Grant Morrison introduces us to an old friend, Santa Claus, as we've never seen him before.

He’s a myth. He’s a legend. He’s loved worldwide by children and adults alike . . . but does anyone truly know the origins of Santa Claus? Set in a dark fantastic past of myth and magic, Klaus tells the origin story of Santa Claus. It’s the tale of one man and his wolf against a totalitarian state and the ancient evil that sustains it.

Award-winning author Grant Morrison (All-Star Superman, The Multiversity) and artist Dan Mora (Hexed) revamp, reinvent, and re-imagine a classic superhero for the 21st century, drawing on Santa’s roots in Viking lore and Siberian shamanism, and taking in the creepier side of Christmas with characters like the sinister Krampus. Klaus finally answers the burning question: what does Santa Claus do on the other 364 days a year?"


My Review: As soon as I discovered this book I knew I wanted to read it for my Advent Reads event held every December on my blog. I am so glad I picked this one up (even though it was a little pricey). I love the classic folk tale feel to this story, as it integrated a few different myths and legends into this Santa origin story. It does a great job of integrating a darker side to the story and pulling on the classic trope of good versus evil. The artwork in this is so vivid and detailed, I really love the style and it lends to this story so well. I have a feeling this is going to become a must read every holiday season for me!

My Rating: I so enjoyed this graphic novel, the artwork and the story both worked to produce a unique holiday story.   I give it a rating of Four Paws!


4 comments:

  1. If the artwork is anything like the cover, I’d love it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is awesome, I loved the artwork in this one, a little darker than you would expect for a Santa story but so good!

      Delete
  2. OMGoodness!! This looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, definitely see if your library has it (it was a little pricey to purchase), you will not regret tracking it down!

      Delete