Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Audio Book Review of The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher

Read for: Audio Book Challenge & I am a big Star Wars Fan

Synopsis: "The Princess Diarist is Carrie Fisher’s intimate, hilarious and revealing recollection of what happened behind the scenes on one of the most famous film sets of all time, the first Star Wars movie.

When Carrie Fisher recently discovered the journals she kept during the filming of the first Star Wars movie, she was astonished to see what they had preserved—plaintive love poems, unbridled musings with youthful naiveté, and a vulnerability that she barely recognized. Today, her fame as an author, actress, and pop-culture icon is indisputable, but in 1977, Carrie Fisher was just a (sort-of) regular teenager.

With these excerpts from her handwritten notebooks, The Princess Diarist is Fisher’s intimate and revealing recollection of what happened on one of the most famous film sets of all time—and what developed behind the scenes. And today, as she reprises her most iconic role for the latest Star Wars trilogy, Fisher also ponders the joys and insanity of celebrity, and the absurdity of a life spawned by Hollywood royalty, only to be surpassed by her own outer-space royalty. Laugh-out-loud hilarious and endlessly quotable, The Princess Diarist brims with the candor and introspection of a diary while offering shrewd insight into the type of stardom that few will ever experience."



My Review: I had been wanting to read this one for a while and finally picked it up in audio book format. It was a lot shorter than I expected it to be and there were less from her actual journals than I expected and more of her and Harrison than I expected. So needless to say it was different than I really expected but it was a pleasure to listen to her narrate her own book and talk about the shock that was becoming Princess Leia and forevermore being Princess Leia. I really enjoyed her sense of humor, sarcastic, realistic and completely entertaining. With all that said I was hoping to fill a little bit of my longing for more Star Wars but it wasn't as much of an insight to the character and making of the movie as I had hoped. I did enjoy it and will be picking up more of her books.


My Rating: While this one was not exactly what I was expecting in most aspects it was still a very enjoyable read and I loved having it narrated by Carrie herself.  I much prefer books, especially comedy, be read by the author to get the proper inflection intended.  I give this one a rating of Three Paws.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry it wasn't exactly what you wanted. At least you still enjoyed it. I'd like to read it one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While it wasn't what I expected it was still really enjoyable, maybe for nostalgic reasons but it was worth the read.

      Delete
  2. It wasn't what I was expecting either, but I really liked it. I liked getting a closer look at Carrie, and I love her personality. She is a riot. I didn't know she did the audiobook for it. I will have to listen to that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really hoping for more about her thoughts on the character and maybe some things she enjoyed about the part and things she found difficult, but I agree, I still enjoyed it. I knew she had a quirky sense of humor but it was fun to hear it really come through.

      Delete