Friday, May 5, 2017

Children's Book Week: Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren

 
Synopsis: "The beloved story of a spunky young girl and her hilarious escapades.

Tommy and his sister Annika have a new neighbor, and her name is Pippi Longstocking. She has crazy red pigtails, no parents to tell her what to do, a horse that lives on her porch, and a flair for the outrageous that seems to lead to one adventure after another!"


My Review: I remember adoring Pippi when I was little girl, I even dressed up as her a couple of times for Halloween and character days, so of course I wanted to share this story with Munchkin. Re-reading it as an adult was a little weird, it was entertaining for Munchkin and a little nostalgic for me. This book is a little bit weird as it isn't really a complete story, just a series of short adventures, which Pippi ends abruptly. As a parent it also makes me wonder how anyone could just let her live on her own, but I guess that is really the draw of the story is that she is so self reliant. Also, while the story clearly encourages imagination and story telling, it really verges on encouraging telling lies. I also find Pippi has a severe case of one-upmanship, constantly having to tell a bigger and better story than who she is talking with, again maybe this is the fun of it for kids. It is always an adventure revisiting old childhood favorites, sometimes they continue to remain favorites, sometimes they are best left in childhood memories.
 
My Rating: While this book and the TV shows/movies figure greatly into my childhood, I find that it wasn't quite as enjoyable as an adult. Munchkin still got some laughs though so I guess it is still great for young children.  We give it a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag.

1 comment:

  1. I hate it when things we love as a kid are lame to us as adults. I loved Pipi when I was a kid too. This would be a fun one to read with Gnome, but now I'm a little scared to revisit.

    ReplyDelete