Saturday, February 18, 2017

Graphic Novel Review of Will & Whit by Laura Lee Gulledge

Read for: Graphic Novel
 
Synopsis: "Wilhelmina “Will” Huckstep is a creative soul struggling to come to terms with a family tragedy. She crafts whimsical lamps, in part to deal with her fear of the dark. As she wraps up another summer in her mountain town, she longs for unplugged adventures with her fellow creative friends, Autumn, Noel, and Reese. Little does she know that she will get her wish in the form of an arts carnival and a blackout, courtesy of a hurricane named Whitney, which forces Will to face her fear of darkness.
Laura Lee Gulledge’s signature visual metaphors will be on full display in this all-new graphic novel, a moving look at shedding light on the dark corners of life."
My Review: I picked this one up because I loved Pages by Paige and really wanted to read more by Gulledge. While I didn't connect with this one as much or was as inspired, it was still a really enjoyable graphic novel. It is a great coming of age story and one about conquering your fears. I really enjoyed each of the characters in the story and I loved the style of the illustrations.
 
My Rating: I really enjoyed this one, and it took a way different direction than I expected it to take, which was refreshing.  I do prefer Pages by Paige but this is still a really enjoyable GN.  I give it a rating of Three Paws.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds fun. I need to read more GNs but I always feel so "meh" about them. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that, they definitely aren't for everyone and you really need to find just the right one to get into them.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen this one around. I'm a big graphic novel fan, so I'll have to check out this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to check out her graphic novels, they are very artistic, I especially loved Pages by Paige.

      Delete