Saturday, September 3, 2016

Graphic Novel Review of Cinderella by Beth Bracken

Read for: Graphic Novel Challenge
 
Synopsis: "Cinderella's wicked stepmother won't let her go to the ball. But with a little help from a Fairy Godmother, she'll be getting there in style. There's just one catch. At midnight, her magical gown will turn back into dirty old rags."

My Review: This one has been sitting on my shelf for quite some time, so I finally picked it up. This is a very short graphic novel that really condensed the Cinderella story, but not in a bad way. It would be easy for young readers to pick up and enjoy. The art style is a little dark for my liking but it is a style that appeals to a lot of others. I think the best part was all the extras at the end, it has a glossary of potential new words, it also has a brief history of the story of Cinderella throughout history and some great discussion questions.
 
My Rating: The art isn't my style but I do appreciate how Bracken combined a few versions of the tale to make this one.  I give it a rating of Two Paws and a Stump Wag.

5 comments:

  1. Hmm, not sure what I think of the artwork on the front but I like that this story can be told over and over in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure about the artwork either because I ordered it online and couldn't get a good look. It was okay, I did like the almost monotone sepia look though and the story while it was the same Cinderella in many ways, it still was unique.

      Delete
  2. I'm a BIG graphic novel lover, and I will have to check this out. I like darker art styles too, so this might be right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like the art style you will probably really enjoy this one. It is very short and written more for middle grade readers but it is still one that will appeal to all levels of readers.

      Delete